The 1st ASSIST-IoT Open Call is officially announced and starts at 1st of November! The ASSIST-IoT project has reserved part of the project budget to fund specific activities in order to enhance and improve IoT features and applications and boost the NGIoT community across Europe. Third parties are expected to come along and carry out relevant actions during the project’s life cycle.
These later-joining entities will be selected by means of two competitive Open Calls (Open Call #1 starting at 1st of November 2021 and Open Call #2 starting at 1st July 2022) which will be dedicated to integration and validation of the proposals within any of the ASSIST-IoT three pilots.
ASSIST-IoT PROJECT OVERVIEW
ASSIST-IoT is a EU H2020 ICT-56-2020 funded research project running for 36 months which aims at design, implementation and validation of an open, decentralized reference architecture, associated enablers, services and tools, to assist human-centric applications in multiple verticals. ASSIST-IoT will design, implement and validate, in a realistic, measurable, and replicable way, a unified innovative multi-plane (semi-)autonomous decentralized edge-cloud reference architecture, supplemented by cross-cutting digital enablers. The architecture will support continuous integration and long-term sustainability of domain-agnostic, interoperable, self-* capable, intelligent, distributed, scalable, secure and trustworthy IoT ecosystems. More information available here.
ASSIST-IoT 1st OPEN CALL TIMELINE
ASSIST-IoT 1st OPEN CALL GOALS
- Validation and improvement of technical components of the architecture.
- Take up of ASSIST-IoT by application developers, domain experts and entrepreneurs to create new applications and services.
- Pushing ASSIST-IoT technology and service visibility on the market.
- Supporting an innovative, dynamic and industry open ecosystem around ASSIST-IoT results.
- Gathering new market relevant inputs ASSIST-IoT components and finding industry experts to improve technical capabilities as well as filling possible missing functions, needed adoptions or modifications.
ASSIST-IoT 1st OPEN CALL CHALLENGES
- Design, implementation and integration of interoperable device layer components, based on different low-level communication standards or on ad-hoc proprietary device solutions.
- Design, implementation and integration of interoperable networking layer components, based on different standards higher-level communication standards or on ad-hoc proprietary networking solutions to be tested in ASSIST-IoT pilots.
- Design, implementation and integration of interoperable middleware layer components. These need to deal with the different middleware services such as discovery, management, querying, coordination and interaction.
- Design, implementation and integration of interoperable application service components. These should exploit major standards and be integrated with ASSIST-IoT API.
- Design, implementation and integration of interoperable data and semantics components. Specifically, semantics layer components have to deal with heterogeneous IoT ontology matching.
- Design, implementation and integration of virtualization mechanism for smart objects, including context aware mechanisms and transfer of virtual objects between servers and cloud platforms.
- Design, implementation and integration of fog/edge/cloud support mechanisms, including support for different services, inter cloud mechanisms applied to IoT and support for virtualization.
- Design, implementation and integration of AI/ML libraries and tools addressing ASSIST-IoT pilots.
ASSIST-IoT 1st OPEN CALL CONTEXT
The Open Call is addressed to (specially) SMEs and startups, research and academia entities and innovators to provide new services/devices/innovations in the scope of one of the three pilots of the project (More information about the ASSIST-IoT Pilots here).
Participants must select one of the three pilots in order to perform the validation of ASSIST-IoT technologies and development. The third parties must show how their contribution would help enlarging the ASSIST-IoT ecosystems as indicated in the evaluation criteria. They have to contribute to the ASSIST-IoT paradigm. Selected entities will receive funds as third parties of the Project Coordination – Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) – and the research results will belong to the whole consortium. Also, a collaboration agreement will be signed with the ASSIST-IoT coordinator and the third party.
ASSIST-IoT 1st OPEN CALL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & FUNDING
The Open Call is addressed to individual European SME, Universities and Research Centres that can contribute to the ASSIST-IoT paradigm. Only single participants accepted (no consortiums allowed).
- A total of € 900’000.00 will be distributed to external third parties through the two ASSIST-IoT Open Calls.
- Expected a maximum of 7 projects to be selected and funded from the first Open Call (and a minimum of 8 from the second).
- Each Open Call winner will be funded with a maximum of € 60’000.00
More details on the Open Call #1 context, applicants’ eligibility and procedures will be available 1st November 2021!
ASSIST-IoT 1st Open Call in a nutshell
Project: ASSIST-IoT (EU H2020 ICT-56-2020)
Total Open Calls budget: € 900’000.00 (for both Open Calls)
A maximum of 7 projects are expected to be selected and funded during first Open Call
Project budget range: € 60’000.00 maximum
Opening date: 1st November 2021
Closing date: 28th February 2022 at 17:00 CET
Results announced: 19th May 2022
Contact person: Ignacio Lacalle Úbeda (Universitat Politècnica de València – UPV)
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org